Wednesday, December 26, 2012

4 days of Christmas

We had a wonderful & crazy busy Christmas this year with 4 days of celebrations.

It all started Saturday afternoon when I met up with my family at one of our local Nature Centers for a nature walk. We were give a small bag of bird seed and were told about the birds that we might see on our little walk. We then put the bird seed in our hands and got to hand-feed chickadees. It was really, really neat.

In the evening, we headed over to my husband's Dad & Step-Mom's house. It was a full house with all of his siblings (he has four!) and their kids. We had a lovely meal, pot-roast for the meat eaters, homemade macaroni & cheese for the vegetarians, glazed pearl onions, a lovely salad, & bread sticks. Then we opened presents. Pat & I got matching robes with our initials on them. I had been wanting a big soft cozy robe and this was just perfect! The kids got fleece pillow & blankets engraved with their names on it.

On Sunday morning, I was up early to do some last minute errands. Then I headed over to my parents house to spend some time with my family. I mostly played with my 4-year old nephew. He is such a funny kid! Then at 4pm, I headed over to my Mother-in-Laws house were I met up with my husband and 3 of his kids plus the extended family. It was another full house filled with excited kids. We had another great meal and got to open more presents. We got three new tree ornaments, two first-Christmas ones (one from MIL, one from my husband's Aunt), we each got a sweater, then gift cards. My gift cards were to Macy's. We were home by about 8:30 and I was exhausted. I managed to fight through it and put together a spinach dip and gave the kids the project of prepping luminaries for Christmas Eve.

I was up early on Christmas Eve to make a potato salad and clean like crazy before we had company coming over. Pat's second oldest son came over about 10am and we made Cinnamon rolls and open presents with the kids. We played a few rounds of ping-pong and then relaxed until my family came over around 12:30. I wanted his kids to see my niece & nephew since they would be at their Mom's on Christmas Day when we would be at my parents house so I invited my family over for lunch. I didn't want the stress of a bigger meal for Christmas Eve dinner so I kept things simple. Pat's work had given us a ham so we cooked that up, then got some really good bread, sliced Turkey, pastrami, & cheese. We just did sandwiches with potato salad. We had a nice long visit and the kids got to play with each other which is really cute. My family left around 4:30 and shortly after it was starting to get dark. So we bundled up and took out the luminaries and light them. Most of my subdivision does it and it looks so pretty. We also took the dog for a little walk to see all the pretty lights. Then it was time for dinner. I wanted to start a new tradition with Pat & the kids so I made fondue for dinner. We had a traditional Swiss cheese with bread, veggies, & left over ham. Then a little while later we did a chocolate fondue with fruit, vanilla wafers, & marshmallows. It was so good & the kids loved it! Then we dropped the kids off at their Mom's house and we headed home to bed.

For Christmas we like to have a relaxing morning with just the two of us. This year we wanted a healthy breakfast so we just had cereal. Then we exchanged presents. It was perfect! After relaxing for a while we bundled up and took the dog for a walk in the woods before headed to my parents house for the day.

Everyone was anxious for our arrival so we could finish up the present exchanging. It was really cute to see how excited my niece & nephew were over the whole thing. Then we had sauerkraut & dumpling for lunch. We headed home around 4:30 and I was so exhausted. 4 days of Christmas had officially worn me out. Brady & I took a little nap then I got snacks ready for Pat & I to take to the movies. We have both been wanting to go to the movies for a while now. We saw "Silver Lining" and both thought it was a little odd, but cute.

And that wrapped up Christmas, I hope you all had a wonderful holiday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment