Friday, October 23, 2009

Weekend Recap - Sunday aka Race Day


Finally, the Detroit Marathon recap! I couldn't have asked for things to go more perfectly that day! FB & I woke up at 5am and quickly got dressed and got in the car. We headed over to BR's house to pick her up. I ate a mini Cinnamon raisin bagel from Trader Joe's. We got downtown without any problems. We were planning on parking on the Cobo roof, but we saw traffic backed up at the exit. Luckily BR had worked downtown and could direct us around. We ended up finding street parking not too far from the start line. We cranked the heat in the car to stay warm and stayed there until just about 20 minutes until the start time. There were port-a-johns near where we parked that hardly had anyone in line. After the pit stop we headed over to our corrals. We sent FB off to his, then BR & I went to ours. It was nice and warm in the pack. Then before we knew it we were off. It was a great course that went up over the Ambassador bridge into Canada, along the waterfront there, back through the tunnel until Detroit. BR & I stayed together this whole time. We stuck together until mile 12 where I sent her off to PR in the half marathon. I was really worried about seeing her head to the finish while I still had 13.1 to go. It ended up being fine. I keep focusing on two mile increments when I got to mile 14. Somehow the next 6 miles through Indian Village and onto Belle Isle went by so quick. I was really starting to struggle just after mile 20. Luckily I ran into my friend S and we finished the race out together. My chip time was 4:17:53. It felt SO good to finish. I think I have to say that this was my favorite race yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment