Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dooby Du

The Dooby Du duathlon is the first duathlon of the season around the Metro Detroit area. It's an hour drive away from me in Berkey, OH. The race directors refer to it as a formula 1 race. I'm not really sure what that means. Most duathlons are run-bike-run. This one has two extra legs in it so its a 2 mile run - 6.5 mile bike - 2 mile run - 6.5 mile bike - 2 mile run. Each of the runs & the two bikes are the same course, so that might be why they call it formula 1 style. It's really good for working on transitions which I need all the practice that I can get. It's one of my favorite races because it's a smaller race with less than 100 competitors and it has some of the most friendly volunteers. The race goes by so quick since it's shorter distances and your legs are screaming from going from one discipline to the other. After the race they sever up lunch...hot dogs (they even had veggie dogs for us vegetarians!), chips, cookies, & pop. Not necessarily the most nutritious post race food, but it sure does taste good. This was my third year doing it and my second fastest time. I finished in 1:44:18. One of the downfalls of the race is that they don't do chip timing so you have no idea what your split times are unless you keep track of them yourself. It would have been helpful this year to compare since I just switched to using cycling shoes and clip-in pedals. I hope to be back again to that race next year.

Up next on my calendar is the Country Music 1/2 Marathon. I'm driving down to Nashville on Thursday and I can't wait!

In the meantime, I was up early yesterday for the 5:30 am cycling class at the gym. I took last night off so I could have dinner with my parents and skype with my nephew. This morning was a 45 minute swim. I'm hoping for a short run at lunch or after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment