Friday, March 12, 2010

AAUSS

AAUSS = Adopt a US Soldier. A friend of mine signed up for this not too long ago & has been having fun corresponding with a soldier deployed overseas. So I decided to sign up this week. I got my soldier assignment yesterday and I'm so excited about this. I don't know much about her, other than she is in the Navy and 21 years old. I was in College and partying hard at 21, not sacrificing my life for this country.

When you sign up, it takes a few days for them to process your registration and match you with a soldier. It's all done random, however I guess you can e-mail the organization and request a male or female soldier and/or what division of the military they are with. After you register you can log onto their forum and share information with others who have adopted soldiers. Discussions include what you can & can't send them, how to send it, when to expect response if any, etc. Sometimes you get what they call a "silent" soldier. For one reason or another they aren't capable of replying to you. I sent my soldier an e-mail and mailed her a letter yesterday. I'm hoping that I will get to hear back from her at some point. In the mean time I'll continue to support her and send a weekly letter, e-mail, or package.

1 comment: