Thursday, March 11, 2010

Big Decisions

I strongly believe that everything in life happens for a reason, sometimes it just takes longer for us to figure out what that reason is. I was lucky enough to be able to move in with my parents for a while when I left my ex-husband. My parents still live in the same house that I grew up in and it's just a half an hour drive from work. And they have a nice fenced in yard for the dog to poop in, I mean play safely in. About 2-3 months after living with them I was getting antsy to move elsewhere. One of my running buddies suggested that I move in with Miss 3D. She needed a roommate, I needed a place to live. She has condo that is just 4 miles from my parents. It all worked out and for a good price for me. It's now approaching a year since I've been living with her. I couldn't ask for a better roommate, but more space would be nice. I feel cramped living in a medium sized bedroom while I've had to keep on renting a storage unit.

A few months ago I decided it was time to move on again and that buying a house was the way to go. I wanted my own place and I wanted to have a fenced yard for the dog. After the ups & downs of house hunting of the past two months, I've really started to think about this whole house thing. I know that I could afford it now, but there are so many variable in my life right now. One of which is continued talks at work of budget cuts which have involved talks of lay-offs and salary cuts. The areas that I can afford to purchase a house in would still give me about a half hour drive in to work. There have been days where an accident on the expressway or bad weather has doubled that drive. That can take a tole on a person after working all day. There is so much work that goes into a house too...yard work, snow removal, basic maintenance & repairs. And to be committed to something that big when Michigan is getting hit so hard right now is so scary.

So lately I've been thinking that renting a pet friendly apartment might be the better option. I was thinking that I could rent one closer to work and I would be able to take a bus instead of driving my car. Ann Arbor has 2 dog parks, and there are others in neighboring areas. Plus Ann Arbor has so many great parks to walk/run in with the dog. I would have the comfort of my own place and I'd be able to get rid of that storage unit. Which by the way, I had to sign a contract that I would not store live or dead bodies in. Creepy. The downside of this is that my favorite gym is near where I'm at now and so are my parents, and most of my friends.

This week, Miss 3D & I started carpooling. Why it took us so long to figure that one out, I have no idea! It made me rethink an apartment in Ann Arbor and consider an apartment in the complex where 3D's condo is. My life would then change very little from what it is now, but I would still have the drive into work. And I don't know how long this carpooling thing would last.

I'm at the point now where I need to create some sort of geek spreadsheet weighing the pros & cons & costs of all of my options.

But I know in the end that whatever decision I end up making, will be the one that was meant to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment